• Mon. Oct 3rd, 2022

Community honors soldier killed in training

ByJanice K. Merrill

Jan 19, 2022

SPRING CITY—A community tribute was held Monday in honor of Master Sgt. Lincoln Olmstead, a Spring City native who was killed in a training incident near Fort Campbell, Kentucky, on September 21.

sergeant. Lincoln Olmstead

Mayor Cynthia DeGrey said Olmstead, 29, a 2010 graduate of North Sanpete High School, essentially died in the line of duty.

“We want the family to know he is one of us. He made the ultimate sacrifice. We want to show our appreciation, express our gratitude.

On Monday, DeGrey said she collected about 100 American flags, some on loan from Colonial Flag Co. in Sandy, some from Spring City offices, some from Spring City Elementary and some provided by residents.

The flags were displayed along Main Street on Chapel Road in the Spring City neighborhood, where a visitation was held Monday evening and a funeral was scheduled for Tuesday (after press time).

DeGrey said she’s spreading the word that residents are asked to line Main Street after the funeral as the hearse and funeral proceed to Spring City Cemetery, where Olmstead will be buried.

According to DeGrey, the Utah chapter of the Patriot Guard, a motorcycle group with many veteran members, planned to be outside the chapel on Monday evening to form an honor guard as the casket was carried. from the chapel on Tuesday and to be at the cemetery for the funeral service.

Olmstead joined the Utah National Guard in 2016 and in 2019 became a member of Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group (Airborne). Special Forces are also known as Green Berets. During five years in the army, he had received eight badges or ribbons.

He was at Fort Campbell, located near the Kentucky-Tennessee border, participating in a maritime assessment course in September.

He was swimming on the surface at Swag Park Reservoir when he went underwater and did not come up. Base and county emergency services, along with Tennessee wildlife officers, launched an immediate search, but they did not find his body until the following day.

“It’s an absolute tragedy,” said Colonel Paul Peters, the unit commander from Olmstead. “Sometimes we expect this stuff in combat, but not in training, which makes it difficult for the unit and especially for the family.”

Maj. Gen. Michael Turley, Adjutant General of the Utah National Guard, said, “While training incidents like this are rare, it is a reminder of the enormous sacrifices made every day by our service members and their families. .”

Olmstead’s parents, Brian and Sonia Olmstead, moved to Spring City a few months before he was born. He attended Spring City Elementary School and North Sanpete Middle School. At the same time, he graduated from North Sanpete High School, he earned an associate degree from Utah Valley University.

“He’s very well known here,” DeGrey said. “His family is part of our community.”

Flags line Main Street in Spring City Tuesday in honor of Sgt. Lincoln Olmstead, a soldier who died Sept. 21 during an aquatic training exercise in Kentucky. Photo by Marcy Curtis.

Father Brian Olmstead retired from the South Sanpete School District. He himself was also a member of the National Guard. In the early 2000s, as a member of the 1457th Combat Engineer Battalion based at Mt. Pleasant, he deployed to Iraq during Desert Storm.

Lincoln and his wife, Danaya Morin, formerly of Fairview, and their two children were living in West Valley City at the time of his death. But his parents; one brother, Clinton; and her grandmother, Wendy Olmstead, live in Spring City.

Lincoln served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 2011 to 2013. He also attended Southern Utah University and was about to complete an engineering degree.

His body was flown back to Utah last Thursday, September 28, aboard Southwest Airlines. An army soldier was on board the flight.

A hearse from Rasmussen’s morgue met the plane at Salt Lake International Airport. The soldier escorting the casket rode in the hearse to Rasmussen’s morgue in Mt. Pleasant.

In Utah County, officers from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, Pleasant Grove Police, and Utah Highway Patrol (among other agencies) joined to accompany the casket to Mt. Pleasant. The security force contingent included more than a dozen motorcycles and a dozen vehicles.

At the morgue, an honor guard of eight members of the Utah National Guard stood to attention as the casket was carried into the morgue, followed by at least a dozen family members and friends.