The heavy transport association (HTA), the only trade association specializing in the heavy and abnormal load industry, officially launches the two abnormal load escort training programs provided by City & Guilds and HTA certifications.
Developed and enhanced from their previous escort training courses, the Abnormal Load Escort Driver Stage 2 and Abnormal Load Escort Manager Stage 3 programs uphold safety standards for the benefit of industry and HTA members.
Available at select regional training centers approved by HTA, both training programs are suitable for escort and pilot car drivers in the heavy haul and mobile crane industry to prove their skills, reduce risk, improve public safety and promote industry excellence. Success and evaluation of these credentials provided by City & Guilds will result in HTA certification.
Spread across two programs, applicants must undertake the Stage 2 Driver Program before moving on to the Senior Stage 3 Manager Program. With two modules designed to test and meet the requirements of operational personnel, the Stage 2 and Stage 3 programs cover a variety of topics, including:
- Legislative requirements, code of practice and industry standards for escort drivers.
- Preparation of escort vehicles, condition of vehicles and staff briefing.
- The correct positioning of the load and the vehicle on the road.
- Effective communication with third parties and appropriate response to emergencies, incidents and unexpected situations.
- Postoperative checks of the procedure and completion of the movement report.
- Planning of abnormal load movements, necessary documentation and the roles and responsibilities of the people involved.
- Vehicle and traffic management.
- The requirements of multiple escorts and cargo convoys.
With the implementation of these two enhanced training programs at regional training centers, the Heavy Transport Association aims to significantly increase safety standards in the industry, reduce risks and improve the skills of operators and drivers. .
The addition of Assured Recognition ensures that these programs are benchmarked against City & Guilds quality standards, providing the confidence and assurance of highly accredited professional development.