• Mon. Oct 3rd, 2022

SAPS Bust Top Cop for providing ‘protection’ to an undercover informant posing as a drug dealer

ByJanice K. Merrill

Apr 30, 2022
  • Lieutenant-Colonel Vincent Zaba, a senior police officer, was accused of frustrating the ends of justice and supplying ammunition to a person who was not authorized to possess it
  • He was caught in an undercover operation when he allegedly escorted a drug dealer who was actually a paid informant
  • Zaba also allegedly sold the informant 25 rounds of ammunition for R2,000, the sting took place between November and December last year

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Next” tab to see Briefly News on your News Feed!

CAPE TOWN – Lieutenant-Colonel Vincent Zaba was reportedly paid 20,000 rand to “escort” a suspected drug trafficker last year in November.

An undercover operation had been set up and an undercover informant had posed as a drug dealer and allegedly called on Zaba’s services for protection.

A high-ranking cop has been arrested during an undercover operation in Cape Town. Photo credit: South African Police Service
Source: Facebook

Zaba, 54, is a high-ranking officer and is the acting commander of Table Bay Harbor Police Station.

Read also

Domestic worker and gardener arrested for murder of missing 78-year-old man found buried in his garden

He would also have been paid R2,000 for 25 cartridges by the informant according to Live time.

Do you like reading our stories? Download the BRIEFLY NEWS app on Google Play now and stay up to date with top South African news!

Western Cape Police spokesman Colonel Andrè Traut revealed that Zaba was arrested at work on Friday and appeared in court the same day.

Traut said there was a concerted effort to root out corruption in SAPS. Zaba was released on bail of 15,000 rand. He faces three counts of defeating the ends of justice and supplying ammunition to someone who was not authorized to possess it.

‘Thieves have no conscience’: Cele warns against plundering KZN relief funds

Earlier, In brief News police minister Bheki Cele has issued a stern warning to people not to steal the money that has been allocated for the victims of the recent floods in KwaZulu-Natal. He was speaking at a Justice, Crime and Prevention Security Cluster conference on Thursday, April 21 when he made the comments.

Read also

Johannesburg police rescue 3-year-old girl kidnapped for R1m ransom, 4 arrested

Cele reminded people that if they tried to loot relief funds, they would be arrested. He also referred to the deployment of law enforcement officials in the flood-hit province. At the briefing, the police minister said the situation in KwaZulu-Natal was dire.

He said families had been torn apart and that if anyone was planning to rob them, it would be “some kind of animal,” Eyewitness News reported.

Cele also defended the government’s relief efforts and said there had been responses since day one of the floods. Relief in the form of food stamps, construction assistance and burial assistance have been offered to residents.

Source: News in Brief